Thursday, April 04, 2002

Iiiiiiiiinteresting.

3. Bolero, from the song cycle Farewell to St. Petersburg by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka (1804-1857)

O deva chudnaja moja,
Oh wonderful girl of mine,

Tvojej ljubov'ju schastliv ja!
How happy is my love for you!

Pripav chelom k mojej grudi
Your brow lies on my breast

V nemom vostorge tajesh' ty.
Sinking in silent ecstasy.


Tak mnogo plameni v ochakh!
Oh, the burning in your eyes!

Tak mnogo negi na ustakh!
Oh, the passion on your lips!

Trepeshchet grud', ty vsja drozhish'.
Your trembling breast... all aquiver.

Bez slov ty kljatvy mne darish'.
You need no words as you give me your caresses.


Lobzan'je dlitsja bez rechej.
Our lingering kiss is beyond words.

Ja p'ju vostorg ljubvi tvojej
I devour your loving delight

V nevozmutimoj tishine.
In silence and stillness.

No jesli ty izmenish' mne...
But if you are ever unfaithful...


O deva bednaja moja!
Oh, wretched girl of mine!

I dik i mrachen budu ja,
My dark rage

I burju smerti podymu
Shall deal death

Tebe i drugu tvojemu!
To you and him together.


Dymitsja krov', nesjotsja krik,
In streaming blood and screaming,

A ja k ustam tvojim prinik,
Pressing upon your lips,

Ja rvu poslednij zvuk rechej,
I'll strip from them your last sound,

Poslednij vzor tvojikh ochej.
And tear the last glance from your eyes.


Ljubvi krylatyje mechty,
All of these are airy dreams

Nadezhdy, schast'je - vsjo prosti;
Of hope and happiness; You must forgive me

Ja videl vas v kovarnom sne,
I have dreamt of you in blood.

No net - ty ne izmenish' mne.
But no, you'll never be unfaithful.


Translation to English copyright © by A. D. P. Briggs

No comments: